Sunday, May 31, 2009

More Top 10 Classics


OK, time to post Number 9 on my list of Top 10 Essential Classic Rock Albums:

9) Ten Years After, A Space In Time – This is probably the one in my Top 10 Essentials that would have the most people scratching their heads, but as far as my personal collection is concerned this is, always was, and always will be a must-have. This is, in fact, one of the only albums that I have owned and/or listened to on LP, 8-track tape, cassete tape, and CD. This was one of the few albums released in Quadrophonic sound, and I will never forget hearing the music chase around the room. But the gimmickry isn’t what makes this a great album; I have a soft spot for a) accoustic guitar playing, which this album is full of, and b) blues covers and improvisations, which this is also full of. I love songs like Over The Hill and Let The Sky Fall. I’d Love To Change The World was the band’s biggest hit and still gets radio play; Baby Won’t You Let Me Rock & Roll You is a great old-school sendup. Alvin Lee isn’t as recognized as many of the British blues rockers but in the late ‘60’s and early ‘70’s he was well known and respected in rock music circles and his (and the band’s) performance of I’m Going Home at Woodstock is legendary.

No comments:

Post a Comment