Thursday, August 13, 2009

R.I.P.


The great Les Paul died today at the age of 94. Les' contributions to modern music are many; rock and roll as we know it would not exist without him. Aside from the considerable accomplishment of inventing his eponymous electric guitar, Les also pioneered the use of tape delay and other production techniques that were huge influences on Jimmy Page, among others. Les was also an absolutely incredible player; unfortunately his heyday was the 40's and 50's and there is not a ton of footage available of him in his prime, but there are some enticing tidbits available on YouTube, including his classic '90's beer commercial.
For my part, my home photo here shows me playing a Gibson Les Paul Custom - here is another shot of it.
Les Paul - gone but certainly not forgotten. R.I.P., my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment