Saturday, July 11, 2009

Top 10 Classics


I will start with the next Top 10 Classic - since I am a week behind I will also post one tomorrow. This one is the album that made me start pondering this topic in the first place; I was listening to it one day and thought to myself, What a great album - this should be essential to any good Classic Rock collection.

4) Bruce Springsteen, Born To Run – Bruce had had limited commercial success to this point, and needed to produce a big seller. In his words, he “set out to make the greatest rock and roll record ever”. Well, he set the bar high, and he produced a phenomenal album that changed the musical landscape. The opening song, Thunder Road, is a masterpiece, and the album never lets up. Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out is one of my personal favorites (and features David Sanborn on saxophone); the title track is one of Bruce’s best. Bruce had more time (due to a protracted contractural dispute) to work on the subsequent Darkness On The Edge Of Town lp, and it is also a great album, but Born To Run was the breakout album and is Bruce at his best.

No comments:

Post a Comment