Thursday, June 18, 2009

Another Top 10 Classic


I have been slacking on my postings, as anyone tracking me is well aware. I will endeavor to do better this week and weekend, starting with the next in my series of Top 10 Essential Classic Rock Albums:


7) Deep Purple, Machine Head – I really love this album. Any rock fan who has never put on stereo headphones and cranked up “Lazy” is definitely missing out on one of the greatest experiences hard rock has to offer. Obviously, Smoke On The Water is one of the biggest hard rock hits of all time and to me helped define the summer of ’72, when it was all over the radio; Highway Star and Space Truckin’ were also huge hits. But I really like the rest of the disc; songs like Pictures of Home and Maybe I’m a Leo are well crafted and highly listenable. The fact that this album was made in a short period of time and under pressure (Smoke On The Water is a recounting of the circumstances and was written on the spot) is amazing but undoubtedly contributed to the urgency of the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment