Sunday, June 21, 2009

The next Top 10 Classic


OK, now that I've vented, here is my next Top 10 Essential Classic Album:


6) Black Sabbath – I really love the first four albums by these guys, but the self-titled debut is the one you need to have if you want to get to the essence of the music. This album is also important because it basically launched a new genre – this is truly the birth of heavy metal. The material presented had been performed live and the band was tight going into the studio, and it shows. Ozzie’s (billed as Ossie at the time) vocals are raw and powerful; the lyrical content is dark; the bass and drums of Geezer Butler and Bill Ward – who I always thought were underrated as a rhythm section – are powerful, and Tony Iommi displays the beginning of his mastery of the hard rock riff. N.I.B. and The Wizard are standards; the entire album is strong and will leave you catching your breath and wanting more. Also the cover art is very cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment